Saturday, December 27, 2008

Who's Afraid of the Dark?

Well around a little before 8pm last night the entire island of Oahu went dark. Apparently a lightning bolt his one of our major transmission. Whatever that means? Bottomline is ... we were without power from last night until around 720amish this morning. I had a feeling before jumping in the shower so as soon as I came out I told Guy to charge the portable dvd player. Lo and behold as we are in the middle of watching a movie the power goes out. We were thankful that I had just ordered two battery lanterns from Amazon and had just bought the 20 D batteries required for those 2 lanterns. Guy, Josh and I played a round of scrabble and listened to whatever radio station on the air via my little mp3 player and Guy's mini amp. How's that for making things work. We slept somewhat into the early morning when the hallway light turned on. We cheered loud because I had to get Josh's basketball uniform cleaned before his game. Later we found out that many parts of the island was still without power even 24 hours later. How did people live without electricity? This does remind us to be prepared!

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Crazy! I'm so glad you all survived!! We heard about the loss of power and everyone we were with (Chris' family and friends) all started calling their family back on Oahu! Wow I bet that was an adventure! Good instincts to charge the DVD player Lori!