Sunday, July 13, 2008

Knowing the landmarks

The other day I realized that I am truly back in Hawaii when I was giving my cousin directions to our place. In Hawaii, we are directional challenged when using north, south, east, west, exit numbers, etc. Our directions are based on landmarks for example, mango tree, green house, elementary school, etc.

This urged me to take a picture of what we use as a landmark to give directions to our place. So, if I were to give you directions, I would tell you, from the H-3 (or highway 3 - we only have three highways: H-1, H-2, or H-3), turn right at Burger King on the corner. So here is the infamous Burger King that you would turn right at. Do you see the Koolau mountains in the back drop? Yes, we're that close to the mountains.

Complete directions to our house would be: from H-3, turn right at Burger King, then a left before Hawaiian Memorial park, just pass the old folks home. Of course, we'd throw in a few pidgin words like, "eh", "da kine", and "you know".

Only in Hawaii ...

1 comment:

ben wideman said...

Perfect, now we have directions to your place!